Shlomi - nice to know!
Shlomi is located in the Western Galilee, only a 12-minute drive from the spectacular shores of the Mediterranean. Shlomi is surrounded by natural green areas and evergreen mountains. The town is named after the father of Ahihud, the president of the Asher tribe: “The chieftain for the tribe of the descendants of Asher, Ahihud the son of Shelomi” (Bamidbar, 34, 27)
Shlomi was founded in 1950 by immigrants from Bulgaria, Yemen and Tunisia, who lived in a transit camp (ma’abara) and inhabited the abandoned place.
In 1960, the residents moved from the transit camp to permanent homes. In the 1990s, a large Aliyah from the Soviet Union took place, and more than 1,000 new immigrants have settled in Shlomi. Over the years, the council has developed and grown and now has a population of about 7300.